In 1908 The Annual General Meeting of The Old Codgers Club was held, so the Club had been in existence for at least the previous year. Sadly, there are no records prior to 1908. Fees for membership were 3/- per annum. There was then the option to pay another 2/- per season for all games, the alternative being to pay 2 old pennies for a game of bowls or 4 old pennies for a game of tennis (6 old pennies for doubles).
Bowls matches were arranged with Suttons and Mortimer.
At the Annual General Meeting in March 1909, held at The Tudor Hotel, a proposition was put forward that the Club should be changed to The Island Bohemian Club. At a Special Meeting a couple of weeks later this name change was formally proposed, seconded and carried: The Island Bohemian Club was born.
In the early days the Club catered as much (or possibly more) for tennis as for bowls. In 1909 the Club affiliated to The Amateur Swimming Association as there was even a flourishing swimming section.
Back in 1908 the green was smaller than at present. In 1913 it was extended to 105ft by 100ft but the landlord would not permit ditches or banks. In 1958 the green was extended to have 6 rinks in both directions.
In 1961 The Club considered (and subsequently bought) buying the part of The Island known as Lewis garden and orchard, the area down towards Bridge Boats.
In 1968 The Club grasped the opportunity to buy the part of The Island from what had been Lewis boundary to the point, the area that included the 2 tennis courts and the bowling green. A decision for which present and future Islanders should be eternally grateful.
The tennis courts have long since gone but the bowling green lives on and is bowling better than ever before.
A framed aerial photo of The Island was presented to The Club. That photo is hanging in the Committee room.
Over the last 40 years much has been done to improve life on the Island. We have mains water and sewage, electricity, three motor ferry boats, a much extended Clubhouse, a modern pavilion, Car Park and much more.
Bowling in the Late 1950's
This photo of bowlers playing in front of the Island Club House
shows how things looked way back in the dim distant past of the late 1950's.
Have you noticed there is one of the tennis courts available to members at that time?
(Please click on the icon below for a larger image)